Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Another Boring Observation

The glories of traveling with laptop and iphone….

I’m sitting yet again in a wireless hotspot in a hostel in NZ. I’m bored shitless, mainly because this city has a whole lot of not much going on a Tuesday night except torrential rain and wind. So once again I am drawn into writing in my blog, which I hope is an endless source of amusement to you all.

Any who as I was sitting in my bus today basking in the beauty of this country (it really is amazingly pretty), it dawned on me how different it was to travel pre laptop and phone. When I first traveled in 2002, it was a battle to find an Internet café and send an email. However, in this age of facebook it is just so easy to get someone’s details and you can discover many intimate details about them in moments.

I have been on the Internet everyday since I got here because I’m addicted to knowing the football scores and what is going on in the world. I’m also not used to be on my own and it takes a while to adapt.

The moral of my story is that my computer gives me a source of entertainment if necessary and also provides me with information on travel resources that would have been unavailable to the traveler in the last century. I think maybe it’s taken a whole lot of fun out of the adventure, and at the least it’s made the experience a whole lot easier and accessible to the IT savvy.

Possibly the truly hardcore adventurer should embark on a journey with only the post as a means of communication….????

Another thing about traveling is some of the funny stuff these crazy kids eat in the common room. On the table in front of me is a communal bowl of maggi noodles, with a three-litre bottle of AJ to wash it down. This young kid next to me is eating two boiled potatoes with butter and salt. The girls next to me are drinking coke with red wine, accompanied by plastic cheese and crackers. God bless them all. ohhhhhh, some guy just got a large dominos, he has a hell of a lot of acne!!!!

No comments: