Thursday, April 23, 2009

First port: Auckland


So here I am, sitting in sunny Auckland relishing in its awesomeness. It's been a funny trip, since I wasn't really ready to be on a plane overseas, it all hasn't sunk in yet.
Anywho, I have a funny story of the first three hours of my trip.
To set the scene, I'm sitting on Flight NZ124 from Melb-Auckland enjoying the wonderous Air New Zealand hospitality. Thoroughly enjoying my in-flight movie, Defiance, starring Daniel Craig, I was handed my NZ immigration card.
Not really concentrating on filling out the details of this card, I had to get a second one given to me because I used ticks instead of crosses to mark my answers. On my second card, I reached the occupation box. I thought to myself "what do I do?", I couldn't say "all around awesome coffee guy", because that didn't fit in the gaps. I couldn't say "dead-beat promo loser", because I didn't work promo anymore. Also I couldn't simply say "Student" because everyone knows I finished my Commerce-management double degree nearly two years ago.
So as I watched Daniel Craig kill another German with his bare hands out of the corner of my eye, I simply wrote "Magician" and put the card in my passport and got back to my meal and movie.
After disembarking, I rolled up to the customs guy and the conversation went something like this:
Lincoln: 'Hey champ, how's life'
Customs Official(looking at passport and immigration card): 'Pretty Choice mate, good flight?'
Lincoln: 'Above expectations my friend, food and entertainment on board were first rate!'
Customs Official(now with strange look on face): 'Magician eh? When did you get into magic?'
Lincoln(blood drawing from face, thinking of something to say and struggling): 'Well that's not entirely true, I'm not fully qualified yet, I still have six months left to go in my TAFE course'
Customs Official(looking satisfied stamping passport): 'You're the first person I've met who studies magic. Have a great time and good luck with it!'

As I walked away from this, I wondered a few things:
#1 Why did I write magician and why did I forget this vital piece of information as I walked into customs
#2 Never be a smart arse when writing in your immigration card, and if you do, have a story ready to back it up
#3 If I tried to pull this off entering the US, would I be bailed up, Vince Colosimo style like Airport Security and cavity searched?

Lesson Learned

No comments: